Areas of Practice
Attorney Alexander R. Wheeler
Alex leads the R. Rex Parris Law Firm’s Class Action and Business Litigation practice groups. In addition to litigating class action and business litigation cases, Alex also represents the Firm’s clients in severe personal injury and wrongful death cases in both the mass- and single-plaintiff context. Alex has been appointed as Lead Class Counsel in dozens of federal and state class actions and has obtained over $400 million in verdicts and settlements over the course of his career. Alex is also on the faculty at Pepperdine University School of Law, where he teaches “Advanced Trial Practice”.
Teaching Engagements?: Adjunct Professor of Advanced Trial Practice – Pepperdine University School of Law 2012
- Second chaired, with R. Rex Parris, Marciano v. Fahs, which resulted in $370,000,000 jury verdict – the largest verdict in the United States in 2009.
- Served as Lead Class Counsel in wage-and-hour class action against large public utility company, which settled for $29,000,000.
- Obtained a post- jury verdict settlement of $10,500,000 in a personal injury case against DHL Express, USA;
- Served as Lead Class Counsel in dozens of wage-and-hour and consumer class actions that have settled for $1,000,000 and higher.
- Currently representing putative class members in over 50 pending wage-and-hour and consumer class action cases all over California and the United States.
- Received Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2000
- NASD-licensed Equities Trader at E*Trade Bank in New York, 2000-2002
- Judicial extern to Judge Alex Kozinski of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2004
- Received Juris Doctorate Degree from Pepperdine Law School, 2005
- Finalist and brief-writing award recipient in Pepperdine’s Vincent S. Dalsimer Moot Court Competition, 2005
- Recipient of Dean’s List Honors while at Pepperdine. Received American Jurisprudence Award for achieving the highest grade in study of Corporations
- Admitted to the State Bar of California, 2005
- Admitted to practice law in United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Admitted to practice law before Court of Federal Claims
- Current member of Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Current member of Consumer Attorneys of California
- Current member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Current member of the Young Lawyers Division of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Graduate of the famed Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College, 2008
- Speaker – Consumer Attorneys of California Annual San Francisco Seminar
- 2008 – “The Growth Mindset Lawyer”
- 2009 – “Conversational Hypnosis”
- 2010 – “Click – Establishing Instant Connections”
- 2011 – “In The Line Of Fire: Framing, Crafting And Responding To Explosive Questions”
- Speaker – 2011 Kern County Chamber of Commerce Annual Employment Law Seminar
- “Missteps in Employment Litigation”
- Avalos v. Foster Poultry Farms, 789 F.Supp.2d 1156 (E.D. Cal. 2011)
- Catsouras v. California Dept. of Highway Patrol (2010) 181 Cal.App.4th 856
- Brown v. Electronic Arts, Inc., 722 F.Supp.2d 1148 (C.D. Cal. 2010)
- Whalen v. United States, 93 Fed.Cl. 579 (2010)
- Whalen v. United States, 85 Fed.Cl. 380 (2009)
- Antelope Valley Trial Lawyer of the Year – 2009.
- Alex has been quoted in the Los Angeles Times, the Orange County
Register, the Los Angeles
Daily Journal – and has appeared on several Los Angeles-area television news stations – in connection with his representation of clients.